Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A bit about me - Maria Ng

I am an Adelaide girl who grew up in Glenelg. I became a Christian at 19 when God spoke to me 'out of the blue' and at which time I felt I was 'dragged into the Kingdom'. My conversion happened whilst at a Baptist Church. I stayed there for 10 years during which time I became involved in the area of worship in the role of leader and coordinator.
Toward the end of those 10 years I got married to Toh Ng, a Malaysian Chinese. I was born a 'Darling' so it was nice to keep a bit of the 'old me'! He was the first Asian guy I'd ever met so I think it was a sense of intrigue that played a part of us getting together! I'm sure there was some chemistry too! It has been a wonderful blessing to be included into a new culture and the richness that has provided to my life. Ever since then I have also been acutely aware of cultural difference and the impact that can have.
Sensing God calling us to a deeper experience of ministry and life with Him, we felt to move to Sydney. Our Church involvement there included a short time with the Christian Life Centre, a 6 year association with a Vineyard Church plant in which we were part of the leadership team, and a brief attempt to do our own Church plant with the hope of doing something new. This lasted for about 12 months when we felt led to return to Adelaide and when I finally began to appreciate the slower pace and wonderful convenience that sleepy old Adelaide provides!
Trying to find a spiritual home has not been immediate. Going from Baptist, to Vineyard, and to Baptist Church Plant, we are now settled at the Austral Asian Community Church. With mostly Asians in the congregation I am surprised that I do not seem to notice 'difference', but 'sameness', and feel at home with them.
I am currently involved in the non and new Christian ministry which provides a rich cross section of new migrants from a variety of countries (predominantly mainland China), caucasian born Australians and Australian born Asians. I deal with people who have a variety of learning styles and life experiences.
Last year I completed a Master of Clinical Education, which is adult education applied to the health care context. I am currently studying part time doing a Master of Ministry and work part time at Flinders University in the School of Nursing working alongside, one on one, with students in the hospital venue.
I am pleased to be doing this course with Steve because I am keen to find new and creative ways to engage the people that God has placed in my life with the Biblical text.

2 comments:

spirit2go team said...

hey, well done. nice to have you in the class and thanks for all that you are adding to our mix

steve taylor

Dorothea said...

Dear Maria,
I enjoyed your reflections on our week together, possibly because so many of your reactions were very similar to mine. It certainly was a week designed to take us out of our comfort zone. As you said, it is scary to loosen control, but how enriching it can be when we dol I suspect one reason why it is so frigtheening is that we don't quite know what others will share, so our response cannot be planned so nearly. But, hey, what an exciting way to learn to trust the Holy Spirit. And to make sure we have prepared thoroughly.

Although you were not speaking explicitly about preaching I found myself thinking of Johnny Bakers' article on trhowing a hand grenade itno the fruit bowl as I read your comments. Yes, we do need the expert who had studied scripture, but this is only one of the gifts in a community. We need other insights as well. And we need the mix of culture and Bible. I have been aware of this but have tended to almost keep them in separate boxes alongside of each other, rather than integrated. Reading your comments made me think of yoghurt being stirred into pumpkin soup, intermingled and mixed, but with an intereting pattern emerging, all helping to make it more attractive and palatable.

Creativity, the mix and match of culture, various voices each being recognised, experiences and movement. The days of the long gaze of the one expert are gone, as are the days of the lone narrator. Let's get out there and be creative as Holy Spirit leads us in our differing places of sharing Life.